Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I bet God is a fly fisherman

"In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing. We lived at the junction of great trout rivers in western Montana, and our father was a Presbyterian minister and a fly fisherman who tied his own flies and taught others. He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."

~Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It
One of the things I like about Don is that he's an outdoors man. I love watching him fish. He's so methodical, so calm, so in his element. I am of the same opinion as Norman Maclean, that fly fishermen are a cut above bait fishermen, they are the scholars of the fishing world, paying attention to the smallest details: what sort of insects are out at that particular time of day? What stage are they in? Larva? Adult? In addition to this, they need to be familiar with the fishing habitats: which holes are most likely to be housing fish? There are questions of skill: Which cast is going to be the best for the location I'm in? All of this leads a fly fisherman to be thoroughly in tune with nature, it's essential if they want to be successful. And being in tune leads one to respect, you'll seldom find a fly fisherman that litters, or doesn't have their permit, or even tresspasses. It is in essence, a gentleman's sport.

Don fly fished for almost an entire day,the other day at Fishlake, and then some the next morning with my dad. "It doesn't bother you, does it?" I shake my head. I understand the need to "re-create", and to have the water talk to you, it's good for the soul.

2 comments:

  1. I love that movie, we grew up watching it. My dad fly fishes too, and I agree, there is something special about fly fisherman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess those fly-things are supposed to look like real bugs. They aren't like jewelry because the cutest ones don't always work the best.

    ReplyDelete